Piazza Navona is a city square in Rome, Italy. It is based on the site of the Stadium of Domitian, inherent first century AD, and takes after the type of the open space of the stadium. The antiquated Romans came there to watch the agones (“amusements”), and thus it was known as “Bazaar Agonalis” (“rivalry stadium”). It is accepted that over the long run the name changed to in avone to navone and inevitably to navona.
Characterized as an open space in the most recent years of fifteenth century, when the city business sector was exchanged to it from the Campidoglio, the Piazza Navona was changed into a very noteworthy sample of Baroque Roman structural planning and workmanship amid the pontificate of Innocent X, who ruled in from 1644 until 1655 and whose family castle, the Palazzo Pamphili, confronted the piazza. It offers vital sculptural and engineering manifestations: in the core stands the celebrated Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi or Fountain of the Four Rivers (1651) by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, bested by the Obelisk of Domitian, brought here in pieces from the Circus of Maxentius; the congregation of Sant’agnese in Agone by Francesco Borromini, Girolamo Rainaldi, Carlo Rainaldi and others; and the previously stated Pamphili castle, likewise by Girolamo Rainaldi, that obliges the long display planned by Borromini and frescoed by Pietro da Cortona.
Piazza Navona has two extra wellsprings: at the southern end is the Fontana del Moro with a bowl and four Tritons etched by Giacomo della Porta (1575) to which, in 1673, Bernini included a statue of a Moor, or African, grappling with a dolphin, and at the northern end is the Fountain of Neptune (1574) made by Giacomo della Porta. The statue of Neptune in the northern wellspring, the work of Antonio Della Bitta, was included 1878 to make that wellspring more symmetrical with La Fontana del Moro in the south.
At the southwest end of the piazza is the antiquated “talking” statue of Pasquino. Raised in 1501, Romans could leave parodies or harsh social analysis appended to the statue.
Amid its history, the piazza has facilitated dramatic occasions and other transient exercises. From 1652 until 1866, when the celebration was smothered, it was overflowed on every Saturday and Sunday in August in extensive festivals of the Pamphilj crew. The asphalt level was brought up in the nineteenth century and the business sector was moved again in 1869 to the close-by Campo de’ Fiori. A Christmas business sector is held in the piazza.