The Igreja de São Roque (Church of Saint Roque) in Lisbon was the soonest Jesuit church in the Portuguese world, and one of the first Jesuit places of worship anyplace. It served as the Society’s home church in Portugal in excess of 200 years, prior to the Jesuits were casted out from that nation. After the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, the congregation and its subordinate habitation were given to the Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Lisboa (the Charity House of Lisbon) to supplant their congregation and central command which had been obliterated. It remains a piece of the Santa Casa today, one of its numerous legacy buildings.
The Igreja de São Roque was one of the few structures in Lisbon to survive the Earthquake moderately unscathed. At the point when inherent the sixteenth century it was the first Jesuit church composed in the “hall church” style particularly for lecturing. It contains various churches, most in the Baroque style of the early seventeenth century. The most prominent sanctuary is the eighteenth century Chapel of St. John the Baptist (Capela de São João Baptista), a task by Nicola Salvi and Luigi Vanvitelli built in Rome of numerous valuable stones and dismantled, transported and recreated in São Roque; at the time it was apparently the most extravagant house of prayer in Europe.
The plain front of St. Roque Church misrepresents the quality inside. The nave, with a painted wood roof, is lined with eight side churches brimming with Baroque craftsmanship. The most outstanding of the churches is the keep going one on the left: the eighteenth century Capela de São João Baptista (Chapel of St. John the Baptist) by Luigi Vanvitelli.
Comissioned by King João V in 1741, the sanctuary was gathered in Rome of costly materials including alabaster and lapis lazuli, then disassembled for shipment to Lisbon. It was reassembled on location in 1747. Here and there an aide will escort guests around the congregation and switch on the proper lights to completely appreciate the chapel.
The church’s sacristy contains numerous canvases portraying scenes from the lives of Jesuit holy persons. Notwithstanding its abundance of Baroque workmanship, the congregation contains some significant sacrosanct relics: incorporate a thistle from the crown of thistles and a bit of wood from Jesus’ bunk.
Connecting the congregation, the Museu de Arte Sacra (Museum of Sacred Art) shows an accumulation of administrative vestments and ritualistic articles. There are eighteenth century capes and curtains weaved in gold and gem encrusted crosses and cups. Two bronze-and-silver light holders, weighing around 838 pounds, are probably the most expound in Europe.
The historical center’s depictions date fundamentally from the sixteenth century. Among them are a picture of Catherine of Austria, a portrayal of the wedding function of Manuel I, and a fifteenth century Virgin of the Plague. A cleaned conch shell served as a baptismal text style in the eighteenth century.