Carmo Convent Ruins - Lisbon
The Carmo Convent (Portuguese: Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a verifiable building in Lisbon, Portugal. The medieval religious community was destroyed in the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, and the remains of its Gothic church (the Carmo Church or Igreja do Carmo) are the primary hint of the incredible seismic tremor still unmistakable in the city.
the Carmo Convent is found in the Chiado neighborhood, on a slope disregarding the Rossio square and confronting the Lisbon Castle slope. It is placed before a calm square (Carmo Square), near to the Santa Justa Lift.
Nowadays the destroyed Carmo Church is utilized as an archeological gallery (the Museu Arqueológico do Carmo or Carmo Archeological Museum).
The Carmo Convent was established as a religious circle for the Carmelite Order in 1389 by the Portuguese knight Nuno Álvares Pereira. Álvares Pereira was Constable of Portugal, implying that he was the preeminent military authority after the King. At the administration of King John I, Álvares Pereira summoned the Portuguese armed force in the conclusive Battle of Aljubarrota (1385), in which the Portuguese ensured their autonomy by overcoming the Castilian army.
The Carmo Convent was at first possessed via Carmelites from Moura (southern Portugal), which entered the community in 1392. In 1404, the devout Álvares Pereira gave his riches to the cloister and, in 1423, he likewise turned into a sibling of the convent.
On November 1, 1755, the extraordinary quake demolished the vast majority of the cloister and its congregation. The Convent library and its 5000 books were all lost. The religious circle was renovated and in the end turned into a military quarter. The congregation was never completely revamped and, after a period as wood stockpiling house, it was given in 1864 to the Association of Portuguese Archeologists, which transformed the destroyed incorporating with a museum.
In the twentieth century, amid the Carnation Revolution, the Carmo Headquarters was the last fortification of the Presidente of the Estado Novo, Marcelo Caetano, and the military dependable to him. The old Carmo Convent building is currently utilized by the Republican Guard (Guarda Republicana).
Book Tour To Visit This Attraction