Belem Tower - Lisbon
Belem Tower or the Tower of St Vincent is an invigorated tower found in the common ward of Santa Maria de Belém in the district of Lisbon, Portugal. It is an UNESCO World Heritage Site (alongside the adjacent Jerónimos Monastery) due to the noteworthy part it played in the Portuguese sea disclosures of the period of the Age of Discoveries. The tower was charged by King John II to be a piece of a guard framework at the mouth of the Tagus waterway and a stylized portal to Lisbon.
The tower was implicit the early sixteenth century and is a conspicuous illustration of the Portuguese Manueline style, yet it likewise consolidates clues of other building styles. The structure was manufactured from lioz limestone and is made out of a bastion and a 30 m (100 foot), four story tower. It has erroneously been expressed that the tower was inherent the center of the Tagus and now sits close to the shore on the grounds that the waterway was diverted after the 1755 Lisbon quake. Actually, the tower was based on a little island in the Tagus River close to the Lisbon shore.
The building was done in 1519, only five years prior to Manuel’s passing, and Gaspar de Paiva was incidentally positioned to charge the fortification; his bonus was made lasting on 15 September 1521, when he was designated the first Captain-General, or alcalde, and the stronghold was named the Castle of St. Vincent (Castelo de São Vicente de Belém) out of appreciation for the supporter paragon of piety of Lisbon.