The Temple of Olympian Zeus (Greek: Ναός του Ολυμπίου Διός, Naos tou Olympiou Dios), otherwise called the Olympieion or Columns of the Olympian Zeus, is an epic demolished sanctuary in the inside of the Greek capital Athens that was committed to Zeus, ruler of the Olympian divine beings. Development started in the sixth century BC amid the principle of the Athenian despots, who visualized building the best sanctuary in the old world, yet it was not finished until the rule of the Roman Emperor Hadrian in the second century AD around 638 years after the task had started. Amid the Roman periods it was prestigious as the biggest sanctuary in Greece and housed one of the biggest faction statues in the antiquated world.
The sanctuary’s eminence was fleeting, as it fell into neglect in the wake of being ravaged in a savage intrusion in the third century AD. It was most likely never repaired and was diminished to destroys from there on. In the hundreds of years after the fall of the Roman Empire, the sanctuary was widely quarried for building materials to supply building undertakings somewhere else in the city. Regardless of this, generous remains stay unmistakable today and it keeps on being a significant vacation spot.
Fifteen sections stay standing today and a sixteenth segment lies on the ground where it fell amid a storm in 1852. Nothing stays of the cella or the incredible statue that it once housed.
The sanctuary was uncovered in 1889-1896 by Francis Penrose of the British School in Athens (who likewise assumed a main part in the reclamation of the Parthenon), in 1922 by the German prehistorian Gabriel Welter and in the 1960s by Greek archeologists drove by Ioannes Travlos. The sanctuary, alongside the encompassing vestiges of other aged structures, is a chronicled region controlled by Ephorate of Antiquites of the Greek Interior Ministry.
On 21 January 2007, a gathering of Hellenic neopagans held a service regarding Zeus on the grounds of the sanctuary. The occasion was composed by Ellinais, an association which won a court fight to acquire distinguishment for Ancient Greek religious practices in the fall of 2006.